Monday, January 23, 2012

Leaving my Legacy [SWTOR]

So, last night I finally get done with chapter 1 of my class story on my Sith Assassin. After seeing the culmination of that part of the story (a bit of a twist in there), I was instructed to return to the Imperial Fleet. Upon arriving there, a screen popped up informing me that I could now choose a Legacy Surname.

A Legacy Surname? What was this? I had no idea what I was being asked to do, so I quickly opened up my internet browser and starting reading. It turns out that this is a name added to your character that provides him or her with a last name or a "title" that reads "The *insert name* Legacy". Ok, neat idea. However, I then found out that this Legacy title extends to ALL of my characters. Yes, all eight characters, four darkside, four lightside, on a single server will have the same last name.

I'm not sure how I feel about this feature. On the one hand, this provides a bit of continuity and ownership for all of my characters. Anyone who sees my legacy tag will know this character is part of my cadre. If I'm establishing a good reputation as a competent player then others will see my tag and know that they can expect the same competent play regardless of which character I'm playing.

On the other hand, I'm supposed to pick a "family" name to apply to all of my very disparate characters. I'm not sure how I could ever pick a single name that would apply equally well to my Rattaki Sith Assassin and my Chiss Sniper, or to my "Darth Maul type" (can't remember the name of the race) Sith Juggernaut and my Human Jedi Sage. This was a dilemma that I wasn't sure I could overcome. Seriously, there were a few moments last night where I was considering quiting the game altogether since I couldn't come up with a fitting last name.

It was at this point that I realized you can choose to display this Legacy as an additional title "the *insert name* Legacy" instead of as a last name. Ok, that would make more sense in applying it across all of my characters, so I finally chose "The Craftygod Legacy". I feel pretty good about this one, and I suppose this means I can keep playing a little longer.

What do you guys think about the Legacy system?

No comments:

Post a Comment